As a property owner, dealing with property damage caused by tenants can be frustrating and stressful. However, it’s important to handle these situations carefully and effectively. Here are some tips to help you deal with property damage caused by tenants like a pro:
- Document the damage: Take photos and videos of the damage and make note of the date and time it occurred. If you have performed a move-in inspection of the property, compare the before and after conditions.
- Review the lease agreement: Review the lease agreement to determine if the tenant is responsible for the repairs or if it’s the landlord’s responsibility.
- Contact the tenant: Reach out to the tenant as soon as possible to discuss the damage and determine who is responsible for repairs.
- Hire a professional: If the damage is extensive, consider hiring a professional to assess the damage and provide an estimate for repairs.
- Deduct repair costs from security deposit: If the tenant is responsible for the repairs, deduct the cost from their security deposit. Make sure to provide a detailed report of the deductions and return the remaining balance promptly.
If there is a Landlord-Tenant Ordinance in your area that regulates the security deposit and repair deductions, make sure that you conform to your local law.
By following these tips, you can effectively handle property damage caused by tenants and maintain a positive relationship with your tenants. If you need help managing your rental property or have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Follow #illinoisreceiver on LinkedIn so we can create opportunities together!
Subscribe to Effective Property Management Newsletter